Sunday, July 11, 2010

Life changes in a wink?

I am just sitting on that same chair from where the only thing i can do is facebook, play games and plan parties and I can feel that nothing is going right, I am so hell bored and when i am bored i start assuming my life that is going to start like after 20 days.
I'd like to start from the very beginning and write everything i remember about this YES thing. It's actually a US scholarship that makes you a cultural ambassador and live a life as an exchange student there in US. I never knew anything about this scholarship before applying for it. I just thought that this is an awesome scholarship that sends you to US free of cost =p
Well , There were four girls who had been YES scholars, they were from the same school where I was. I still remember when these girls left for US, a teacher while teaching in our class started making us realize our worth in that school by saying that these for girls were so talented that they are in US on an scholarship and they are from AKU(Agha Khan University) Board and at that time i was writing something on the blackboard but my ears were on his words. As I heard of a scholarship, i just turned back in no time and interrupted and asked about the scholarship and stuff ? And asked him the only reason for not even telling us about that scholarship, Just because we are Sindh Board students and they are AKU ones?
He looked me with his weird eyes and I could do nothing but turn around and continue writing on the black board. That was the day I am Shahan decided to find about it ourselves. After a few weeks, I was online at Internet and Shahan asked me to see the link about that YES scholarship and I, within no time went through everything in it. I got a bit satisfied by looking at an statement written which said you can apply independently too because i knew my school will never want SINDH BOARD students to Compete AKU ones, lol this is drama but happens. But at that time we had already graduated from our schools and were in Colleges now. Anyway, then I and Shahan Applied for the scholarship and unfortunately Shahan could not get selected just because of OVER-AGE which was one of the main parts in the terms and conditions. I felt bad and still today i kind of miss him when i go to anything related to YES and i am not even kidding Shahan. Well then i Got selected in the SLEP test, my Dad was like it's such a high profile scholarship but i never agreed with him on this. I had never applied for any scholarship and this was my first one. I really wanted to get selected as I also wanted to be popular in my family after seeing my cousins going to different countries on scholarships. Well, then I cleared the SLEP test, was called for the Interview which was the real big deal. I asked Bakh about it again and again and she constantly kept on saying that Interview is the point where they kick asses and knowing that who'll want to get his ass kicked?
So i kept on watching English news channels, unnecessarily started talking English with my siblings as wanted to be fluent during interview, lol. And then the Interview day came, I was Not so social at that time so it was hard for me to even greet people there but i managed. And then interview went on and went So Good , there was Nothing to be afraid of. Sir Saleem was so good as an interviewer and felt like My dad is talking to me.
And then i had nothing to do but prayed day and night to get selected as going to another world was something unbelievable. Atleast a Month passed and i lost all the hopes of being selected. Shahan asked me about it and I just had nothing to say but that I know i am not going in there. But he continuously kept on saying that I know you'll get selected but I took it as a sympathy. Well Just in a week after then the Final letter reached my house and said that congratulated on being selected as an exchange Student. That was the day I could not stop my feelings. I literally started dancing at my House and my Grandmother said my mother like what happened to your child ?
I did not tell anyone about it, Just a very few people. It was Just because i still could not believe that I am going to US after 5 months and my dad believed that things can change in no time and it all happens because of people's Jealous nature so just don't leak anything out and I kind of agreed and kept quiet but my inner feelings were like i was flying so high.
And from there on my YES Journey started.
First Workshop was not so happening as i did not know anyone but a couple of people there, Interviews were not so fun either but then the Final PDO's came and changed my life for 5 days. Living in 4-star Hotel was not a piece of cake. Then it was fun all over. Made so many friends, Loved them, laughed with them, Played pranks, Played Games, Loved life, Learned a a lot of things too, had fun with Alumni's.
Especially , Thank you very much Bilal Khan. Mate I swear if you were not there to guide me at times, I'd have been one of those bad asses in the eyes of everyone, your advices turned out to be very helpful and I spent those 5 days in a decent yet enjoyable manner. Those 5 days are still On my mind and I am really looking forward to love the rest of the Journey , InshAllah.

Regards,
Shahzeb Memon.

16 comments:

  1. I'm Glad that I'm the 1st one to comment Here ..:-)

    This is one of Your finest Posts Till now ..
    And I'm really glad what You posted ..Know why ?:p
    Because This made me feel how i would have felt if i got/get sucha scholarship ..
    That Random Dancing in Excitement ..OMG ..
    becoming famous in the family ...That's what is 101% analogy between you and me :)

    The Only thing that will Make me envious is if You start giving more importance to the Americans and start bothering us ..!

    Well When I applied for this thing i had dreams like Me and My close pal will go together there in U.S ... But That over-age thingy was really Cruel to me ..But well sun is yet to rise :_) ..Good is yet to come !

    Good Luck for the Life -The extremely New Life than begins 25 days later !(y)
    Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know you blog too. YES is amazing, indeed. Great post, looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shahan:
    Don'tget envious, I assure you that I am never going to forget that I am first of all a Pakistani and secondly, I am basically among you people :)

    Sir Jee:
    Thankyou for reading.
    Just started like 2 weeks ago.
    You are my inspiration for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Shahzeb!

    Dude great work maybe i might blog too in the future but the whole thing is an inspiration for every one! Looking forward to read more blog posts!

    Shahrose Bux

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou Shahrose for reading and Yeah Blogging is fun.


    Catgirl:
    Thanks a ton for appreciating.
    And Yeah I'm really going to read your blogposts now and looking forward for something useful from you :)

    Regards,
    Shahzeb Memon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats was great shahzeb.It's really feels great being a part of YES.I just hope that we remain together and do great things ahead in life....:)
    Regards,
    Sameer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shaaan. i read ur removed post.yes i m flattering people enuff to follow my blog and i m being their follower too. i guess i neither bribed nor tortured anyone into following me so why do u need to spread a word of CAUTION against me? and yes i do need a following..but wud ur friends continue to visit if my blog had no substance ?
    p.s. and i m still wondering dear Shaaan ,,what made u follow my blog just now ??:-))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou Sameer ! :)
    I hope you keep reading my Blogs :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Cat-Girl !
    It's Not at all Apprehensive for me that You read my Comment :_)

    But I guess Now we both are clear enough that what were the reasons behind all that CAUTION !

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah... two thumbs up for our 'turbulent' new f.ship!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Likes. :) Reminded me of my jumping in the porch of my house after getting the letter. Wait till you come back. You'll have more half as much friends and memories to cherish and love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. INSHALLAH ! =D
    That's gonna be worth-loving i Guess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great work shahzeb :) Thumbs up

    ReplyDelete